Wolves wipe out Sigourney

GTNS photo by Andy Krutsinger

Jenna Buffington (left) and Liana Sweezer (right) camp under the ball during Winfield-Mt. Union’s sweep of Sigourney on Tuesday night.
GTNS photo by Andy Krutsinger Jenna Buffington (left) and Liana Sweezer (right) camp under the ball during Winfield-Mt. Union’s sweep of Sigourney on Tuesday night.

WINFIELD — Sigourney didn’t make it easy on Winfield-Mt. Union Tuesday night, but the Wolves still found a way to take three-straight sets and sweep away the Savages from the postseason.

The W-MU volleyball team swept Sigourney despite a couple of contentious sets. The Wolves took games 25-21, 25-13 and 25-22.

The first set was back-and-forth all game long. Sigourney got out to an 11-8 lead but W-MU clawed back to tie the game at 12-12, and then again at 14-14 on a Jenna Buffington kill. Sigourney rallied for another lead but the game was tied again, 19-19, after a Jami Wilkerson kill.

The game was tied at 20-20 before another kill by Buffington gave the Wolves their final lead of the set.

The Wolves ended the first set on a 5-1 run. Kyndal Townsley had an ace during the run and yet another Buffington kill ended the game at 25-21.

W-MU had some relief in game two, thanks to a great run of serves. Kyndal Townsley and Kayla Edwards each had a kill early to give the Wolves a 4-3 lead. A couple of aces by Buffington helped W-MU stretch the game to 7-4, and the Wolves never looked back.

Carlee Sloan had a huge serve streak in the thrid game. Sloan took the ball leading 8-5, and by the ime she was done serving, W-MU led 15-5. That including three aces in a row.

“We have tried to work on toughening up on serve, and putting ourselves on serving streaks,” W-MU head coach David Pieart said after the game. “We had a few.”

W-MU easily rolled to a 25-13 win in the second set. Buffington had back-to-back kills late in the game to help put the game on ice.

The Wolves jumped out ot an early lead in the third set. W-MU spread the ball around, getting kills from Liana Sweezer, Madie Anderson, Wilkerson and Buffington to hold a 10-8 lead. Sigourney scored three straight to take an 11-10 advatage, but the Wolves went on an 8-1 run to take an 18-12 advantage.

W-MU continued to lead by a handful of points, but Sigourney did give them a bit of a scare at the end. W-MU was one away from closing the game out at 24-19, but the Savages rallied back with three straight points to make it 24-22. A Sigourney spike found the net on the next point, however, and the Wolves escaped game three.

Buffington finished the night with 13 kills to lead the team. Sweezer had six. Wilkerson and Anderson finished with four. Anna Hudson had three, and Edwards and Townsley finished with two each.

Edwards had 26 assists to lead the team. Townsley led the way in digs, with 22. The team finished with 13 aces, four of which went to Townsley.

After the game, Pieart praised his young team for pulling out the win despite many players starting their first-ever postseason games. He gave Sigourney credit, saying they are a well-coached team, and that it was a little scary seeing them grind out points to keep the first and third sets close.

“From a coach’s perspective it’s kind of nerve-wracking because we’ve never seen them before,” Pieart explained. “We didn’t know what to expect.”

The Wolves will have plenty of game film on their next opponent. W-MU plays Iowa Mennonite in the second round on Monday, Oct. 21. The Wolves lost to IMS 2-0 in a tournament in early September, and beat IMS in five games less than a month ago in Winfield.